Tuesday 14 February 2012

procrastination and self reflection

This post is completely the result of having a less then productive day, everything I had planned on doing got hijacked by a stomach bug that decided to show up between the hours of 2 am and 2 pm... I won't elaborate on the details as not everyone of my friends is nurse and has the same iron stomach and objectivity when it comes to the human body's direct response to germ theory...

in any-case I've slept most of the day away and now that I'm feeling a marginally better... i.e. can leave the bathroom floor... I'm feeling like I'm not about to accomplish anything that I had planned for today...

what has peeked my interest enough to comment on in my online surfing is the American Republican debates... or more specifically the waves being cast by President Obama's decision when if comes to women's health. I personally think that his policy is decades late, and it is a good bit of legislation, not that I really pay that much attention to american legislation. But all the alarmist comments are being made by men, mainly men from the catholic religion who I don't think should even have a voice when it comes to the reproductive health of women...
This  is a good clip that illustrates my point.... http://shows.ctv.ca/DailyShowwithJonStewart.aspx#clip618900
starting at about the 3:30min mark, I am happy that I live in canada where there is at least a small amount of separation between church and government.

anyway my lazy day which has progressed into a procrastination day also got me thinking about my picture a day for 365 day project, which seemed a bit daunting at the beginning but now seems a bit mundane, there are definitely days that I am just shooting stuff that has no meaning, i.e. picture of the phone, sharpening the blender... etc. I guess I'm a little disappointed with my self for that, I've yet to take a picture today and wonder how I can catch a photo that displays my general discontent with photos for photos sake... I feel as though I'm definitely becoming a better photographer simply by having my camera with me everywhere, and taking so many pictures; but I can't help but feeling like I'm just documenting a less then exciting life, I think that this likely has to do with being in Inuvik and being as isolated as I am, but thats not to say that if I lived in a bigger place that I would be doing something different... I guess I'm just searching for photographs that have a bit more of story to them then simply "this is a blank... " even some of my more beautiful pictures have started to irritate me, as they seem to say the same thing as well... "these are the northern lights aren't they beautiful" I guess the positive upshot here is I know I don't want to be a journalist in this small town (I write that because the local paper is looking to hire a new reporter), but thats not to say that I'm going to stop taking photos, but that I'm going to focus on telling more of a story with the photo then previously...
some inspirations photos can be found here,
http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2011/11/21/best-photos-of-the-year-2011/#a=1
http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-of-the-day/?source=NavPhoPOD

Granted Reuters and National Geographic have substantially larger budgets and can span the globe for conflict/events worth sharing, I will none the less focus my efforts on  limiting the amount of photos of just stuff and instead sharing a more interesting perspective of life in Inuvik, or wherever I may be....

I guess the only take home message from today is that I really take for granted the things that I do have, I spent a good portion of the day watching George Stroumboulopoulos episodes online and have realized that for all the petty things I could write about/do with my life I'm really living a dream life for many millions people, I'm lucky to have a house in which to be sick in, I'm fortunate to have a job that will give me sick leave, I'm fortuitous to have been born a canadian citizen and have had access to healthcare and education throughout my entire life. I should be grateful that I have enough time to pursue a hobby,  and that nothing catastrophic or detrimental happens in any of the places I live for me to document. In hindsight I feel as though I'm greatly lacking when it comes to being a global citizen.

I wonder if I'm really doing enough? and what meaning does my life have in the big picture?

perhaps thats what my next large goal, I mean I've enjoyed my volunteering in the past but have comeback thinking that I've been ale to walk away from the problems that X people have and theres still living with the problems they started with perhaps they have a bit of pain relief as a result of the nursing actions we initiate when were there, but big picture there life will be relatively unchanged.
I think I need to find a capacity building project that I can contribute too.

No comments:

Post a Comment